The trip started out for me at 9am bright and early on a Philly morning at Philadelphia International Airport. My flight was departing at 11:10am to Minneapolis, Minnesota before I continued the rest of my journey onto Narita with a 2nd flight. The trip was 3 hours, and very quick. I was particularly excited because when I had reserved my business class trip, the domestic leg automatically bumped me up to first class. However, when I reached my seat it really wasn't as glamorous as I'd anticipated..
The seat infront of me was marred with ink from errant pens that had gotten away from the people who had come before me.. or maybe they had done it deliberately out of boredom? Couldn't figure that one out, but I see the argument for the latter. The 1st class area of the plane was divided 1 seat on the left, 2 seats on the right. My seat was on the left side, standing alone so I was sandwiched between the window and the aisle. My first impression when i arrived was of the small white pillow, light blue polyester blanket and pint-sized water bottle stacked on my seat. The flight itself was fortunately very uneventful. The most action I saw on this trip was the very large man snoring across the aisle from me, who would softly snore for a while, go quiet and stop breathing, choke and repeat the cycle. The other mildly intriguing thing I encountered was my first airplane meal.
I had a couple of options, but went with the chicken ceasar wrap as it seemed the safest choice. The lunch arrived in a bright green wrap, innocuously lying on my tray beside salt and pepper, a bottle of water, and pre-packaged caramel brownie. As soon as I bit into the wrap something tasted.... strange. I couldn't tell bite-by-bite if I was actually tasting bleu cheese, or if they were trying to emulate bleu cheese, what I did know was that I couldn't find evidence of bleu cheese in my wrap as I forged on. By the very last bite though -- sweet relief! Confirmation there was cheese responsible for the distinct flavor I had been experiencing. Phew.
After a brief period of downtime at the Delta lounge in Minneapolis [a a 1 hour delay for take-off as they fixed the navigational system], I was on a plane to Narita International Airport outside of Tokyo!
The moment I walked into the Biz class cabin things were noticibly different. My 1A seat was snuggly tucked in the front corner next to the windows, with ample legroom. As soon as I sat down a flight attendant popped up out of seemingly nowhere to ask if I wanted a glass of champagne. I didn't realize until that moment, but 'Yes..! A glass of champagne would be delightful.' Even my first impression of the seat was different from the last. A large down blanket, full-size pillow, amenities kit (slippers, eye shade, Korres face cream & chapstick, pen, tiny tube of toothpaste + toothbrush), noise-cancelling headphones and the promise of a new life in a new place waited me.
The trip was 12 hours and 15 minutes. Departing at 3:10pm on Thursday, July 29th I would arrive in Japan at 5:25pm Friday, July 30th. Crazy hours! Because I was so excited in the newness of everything, I hardly slept the entire flight. Every moment was so unexpected, it made my 12 hour flight go by much faster than it would've otherwise. After take-off I was supplied with pretty much anything my little heart could desire. Endless supply of water bottles (again the mini-size Dasani bottles> don't they worry about wasting so much plastic?) for dinner a three course meal of Thai coconut soup [it was cold and suspicious] and tuna sashimi with sesame seeds, for the main course beef tenderloin and shrimp scampi [not bad, the meat was really really rare though, like i found a cow in a field and bit into him] and then an impressive dessert cart with ice cream sundaes, cakes and parfaits.
I napped for only about 2 hours the entire trip. My Japanese culture and language sensei had advised me before leaving Philly that I should take the melatonin sleep supplement you can pick up at Vitamin Shoppes, and to take one in time with the Japanese time zone to prevent jisaboke -- translation: jetlag! So I did this, and had also purchased 'No Jet Lag' on the advice of the Vitamin Shoppe employee. It's some natural type supplement you take every 2 hours during a long flight that is supposed to aid in preventing the detrimental effects of jetleg. On the flight I watched 3 movies on my personal monitor. I finally had the chance to catch-up on films I'd been hoping to see for months. First up- Roman Polanski's murder mystery, The Ghostwriter. Then The Hurt Locker, and finally CrazyHeart. It was a nice way to pass the time.
All around me the shades were drawn and people were in various states of consciousness. The seats I hadn't realized had hoods on them, so when you reclined you retreated into your egg-like pod. I half-expected Mork to pop up from one of these sleepy eggs and say, 'Nanu-nanu'!
From the moment we came in for the landing, I was glued to the window. I was utterly riveted from the moment I saw Japan, by the square-like farms all around the airport, that grew into larger pieces of land separated by winding roads, houses, and buildings. It was obvious that Narita was far, far outside of the city, and this area was a bit more rural than what I would be living in. Nonetheless, it was love at first sight.
Once I landed I almost immediately encountered difficulty in navigating through the airport. Not to say that they didn't have a clear signs in both English and Japanese at every turn, I just find it difficult to make my way through windy airports. After trying my Japanese out on a few people [things were looking up-- we communicated! they understood me!] I made my way to immigration. In fact, the lovely older lady who directed me to my lane commented on how well I could speak and would get by in Japan. From there I made my way through, retrieved my luggage and then to customs! I got through there with no problem, and worked my way over to the exit of the airport. At this point I had done quite a bit of reading up on the best method for me to make it to my apartment. It seemed my best option would be to take the limounsine bus that would travel to the ANA Intercontinental Hotel, located next door to my apartment building. When I came to the ticket counter, I faced the challenge that I continue to face everyday. Do I make my request in Japanese or English? With Japanese there's a risk I might not understand completely, and with English the risk that they may not. Ultimately I went for English-- they work at the airport so I figured they must be well-versed in other languages. I was able to reserve the ticket, and then had a couple of questions, where do i go from here, how long to Tokyo? So I dove into Japanese. This has been my experience in Japan, use English, gauge the person's skill then switch to Japanese.
After 1 1/2 hour on the limousine bus I came off, with the nearly 24 hours of being awake hitting me hard. It was about 7:30pm in Japan on a Friday night and I was weary and ready to change out of the clothes I had been wearing for the last 20 hours.
This is where I hit my first real snag in the trip. When i exited the bus, a helpful ANA intercontinental employee answered my question for directions to Ark Towers by pointing me towards the hotel. I didn't know if that was right judging by the maps I had studied, but decided I'd listen to this guy because after all... i was fresh to Japan. Well I walk in the direction he had me go, struggling with my 2 suitcases, 1 large bag, backpack, and computer bag. I mean it was ugly.. i was struggling to walk with a huge amount of weight on my back, while pulling suitcases with a bag each on top. I realize I have no idea where I am, and going so I ask the hotel's front greeter where I am and where Ark Towers is! She pulls out a map and directs me in the opposite direction.
At this point I'm getting delirious and she walks with me to the street to further emphasize the location and where I should go. Sadly as she walks me to the street, I drop my bag and it takes me a couple minutes to right myself before I can go on.
I go down the street where she had pointed and make an errant turn. It was the worst feeling. Here I was super-tired, struggling with heavy luggage and I just don't know where to go [I know it could be far worse, but at that moment I was feeling pretty down]. I'm just struggling to turn myself and my bags around when out of nowhere, the first guy comes swooping out of no where profusely apologizing and helps me with my large suitcase + bag, telling me he's been trying to find me because he sent me in the wrong direction!
It was a truly trimphant moment. Only, he didn't really know where he was going. At that point I didn't really care because I could revert to auto-pilot and follow this guy while he asked people directions in his impeccable & native Japanese. He knew the general direction, but not exactly where we should be. Eventually after discovering that he is a speedy person, racing up hills this way and that and with me struggling to catch my breath and to keep up.. We made it! I was home.
And that was that.
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment