Sunday, December 5, 2010

Update: Top Secret Project

As you may have noticed, following my top-secret project post, I went into blogosphere hiding for a little while. I wish I could blame it on the fact that I had been so busy with my social life, and doing great things all around Tokyo that I couldn't post, but the fact was that I have been quite busy with work during the week and spending Q.T. (quality time) with my relatives all around Kanagawa and Mt. Fuji.

Sadly, I have not been so busy picking out what kind of dog I want for my office. Though the idea piqued the interest of the head of IT here, ultimately after speaking with his department heads he concluded that a dog might not be the best fit for an office in the middle of Tokyo. I understood his position, and knew it was a long-shot anyways, but I really appreciated the fact that he had gone to the extent of thoroughly researching the concept. In our meeting where he broke the news, Mr. Japan IT was well-armed with facts and research, how it had worked in other offices (they were usually based in suburbia, and smaller companies) how the public transportation system wasn't a factor in bringing the animal(s) to work, etc. He presented all of this not in a manner that would bring me further down, but in such an articulate and factual manner that I walked away feeling great respect that he had taken my borderline absurd proposal seriously. I appreciated it.

It hasn't been all bad either. Following that meeting I have been able to set a once-weekly standing meeting with Mr. Japan IT, so that we can discuss what else I can do to kick butt and take names. What I can continue to contribute and how I can make Japan IT a better place. Last week he even invited me to work on a top-priority project with him. So though I am without a dog in the office, I am doing my best to take this in stride. Afterall as things tend to go in life, sometimes when a door shuts, a window opens.. or something like that. And in this case, though I didn't get the office pet I'd hoped for, it's allowed me to find new opportunities with Mr. Japan IT. And that is exactly the kind of thing I'd hoped to do while working in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment