All before lunchtime today, communications have left me feeling a little confused.
M-san: Hi Sara san. how are you?
Sara: Hello! I'm well today, thank you. I hope you're having a good day 2.
M-san: HAHAHA
--------------------------------------------------
In response to a Japanese colleague's long e-mail about training which he wrote in near-perfect English.
I sent this e-mail-
Sara: Your English is fantastic!
From him-
Hara-san: Ummmmm….. thank you
I have to wonder does he intend it to come off in the way an American would interpret it, that my comment was unwelcome? Or is he trying to be casual? Everytime I've spoken with Hara-san, he's been a polite guy. Perhaps he might have a good grasp on the written language, but not the cultural nuances that are associated with it.. or does he?
As these encounters show, navigating the English language barrier can be tough even in a quick exchange. With responses that leave me unsure of what's going on, I just remind myself of the reality of the situation. Usually in times like this, I'll just remind myself of the words of 3 great men.. It's Tricky.
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment